View Single Post
Old 25-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Thanks for your thoughts on this Greg as it helps clarify some ideas :-) The object shown in my example is CTB-1 (very faint) and no image whether 36 hours with a CDK14 or 52 hours with a 30cm Newt has anything like the 127mm detail, which I believe is largely generated by some kind of AI sharpening (could be wrong). The stars in the image I believe (again could be wrong) aren’t affected by the sharpening as the sharpening is probably done on a starless image with the stars added back in later. However even a CDK14 or 30cm newt can be poor no matter how many hours I guess. Also, to be clear, I’m not having a go at anyone, as the Facebook version on my iPhone (which is how some would consume their images) is pretty cool and the examples I used are from full res screen shots on Astrobin and aren’t really visible with various compression algorithms. Also there are other many images turning up that are very similarly sharpened although easier to detect artifacts as a Hubble comparison is available.