View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM
gregbradley

I thought I would post some findings on lenses tested here.
It turns out the Nikon 14-24 is unbeatable properly setup.
Minolta Rokkor 24mm showed some weak corners but not too bad. Probably ok at F5.6. Same with Samyang 24mm F1.4. If I were using the Nikon 14-24 on another brand camera (I used it on a Sony A7r) then I would not skimp on the adapter and go with Novoflex. It was hopeless on 2 other adapters - Metabones and Kipon. They were set at the wrong flange distance which is a bit inexcusable as its a known length.

One thing I am not sure of is 14mm type lenses tend to make landscapes seem far away and mountains/hills small and distant and not as impressive as they are in real life. So a good 21-24mm focal length lens may potentially give a better result if more work.

Nikon 24-70 at 24 is also pretty much perfect but again a large lens.

Zeiss 21mm F2.8 is quite good with some chromatic aberration but that is easily corrected.

Fuji 14mm APSc for Fuji is also unbeatable in most ways and is as good or better than the Nikon except for a small section of the corners is obviously where the correction ends as a small circular corner is coma prone.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are doing panoramas you are overlapping by at least 1/3rd anyway so the corner performance does not have to be perfect as that gets lost in the stitching anyway.

I have a Canon FD 20mm F2.8 I haven't tested yet as well as a Canon 70-200mm F4 L which is probably a bit long for this type of shot but mounted on a Polarie it might be fine.

Greg.