View Single Post
Old 28-04-2018, 04:41 PM
darrellx (Darrell)

Ric

Thats a good one (question). It was point of discussion during assembly.

The actual mechanism on the door is quite good. It feels strong and heavy. The amount of "throw" on the locking bolt is nice and long, so it engages well in what would be a strike plate.

Being made of ABS, the door, door frame and hinges are a bit flexible. I think the answer to the question about only keeping honest people out is, yes. If someone wanted to get in, I think they could, but I am still satisfied with it. I usually work on the assumption that all locks only keep honest people out. A determined criminal will find a way.

BUT.... I think with two simple mods, I can fix that. First, each wall panel bolts to a vertical piece of aluminium square tube. The piece that is on the hinge side of the door panel just needs to be a bit thicker and have 5 bolts instead of three. That would stiffen that part of the Dome wall significantly. Thats an easy one.

Second, I think they have used the wrong hinges for the door. The door does have a bit of a tendency to sag. They have used a smallish Butt Hinge. I think they should have used something like a Strap Hinge or a Tee Hinge. Once I get the aluminium wall frame swapped out, I will consider if I can easily change to a different hinge. I am concerned about changing the "look" of the Obs if I put larger hinges on the door. My alternative will be to put on a Padbolt.

From a security point of view, my other concern was the Slit opening. As supplied, the Dome Slit can be simply opened from the outside. I have modified a stainless steel balustrade kit with a turnbuckle and plastic coated stainless steel wire. All nice and secure now.

I should mention that there are two straps supplied that secures the Dome to the Walls and stops the Dome from rotating. This is mainly aimed at wind, but still has the effect of securing the Dome.

While I really have nothing to compare with (regarding other observatories), I am comfortable with the security of the Dome.

Hope this helps.
Darrell