View Single Post
Old 31-10-2020, 10:40 PM
Rod1448 (Rod)

Beginner looking at setup ideas

Hi,

Only a beginner in astronomy as recently bought an 8" Dob. and very much enjoying searching the sky's. I have found this to be a great site with so much information so decided to join up.

I'm enjoying it so much that I have decided to look at building an observatory at my place so I can house an astrophotography scope. Possibly looking at a HEQ5 or 6 mount with a Skywatcher 200/1000 ATO tube and Evostar 72ED guide scope with ZWO tracking camera, etc???? Still researching what might best suit a beginner and would like to use my Nikon DSLR for the photos with the recently purchased T-ring adapter. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I may need other stuff that I haven't even thought of or, my idea might not even work. Every time I look at photos in this forum they have what looks like hundreds of cables running around the scopes so I'm sure there will be more but maybe the extras are for later once I get the hang of it.

Also hoping to get some help with ideas, etc. for an observatory. Have googled lots and so many different types but most are in northern hemisphere so don't know exactly what I should be looking for here at Singleton NSW including build location/orientation. It might be very similar to other countries but would like to know for sure before I start. I'm assuming uninterrupted views of SCP would be a good start. I have looked at the Skyshed plans and don't mind this design but any help from years of experience would be greatly appreciated. Even the telescope pier, concrete or steel? pros and cons? There are so many options and questions for everything. Head spinning.Thanks in advance.

I will place these questions under the appropriate forum locations as well.

Cheers
Rod

Last edited by Rod1448; 31-10-2020 at 10:55 PM.