View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I'd probably lean toward an OAG, the community seems quite divided on them. Personally I think it makes sense, but it concerns me I've read others rubbish the idea.

I've considered the Synguider Camera which I believe should eliminate the need for using the PC for guiding.
yes, whilst opinions are divided on the OAG, there are heaps of users here who have no issues. the key is get the spacing correct. so it can be a bit of a pain initially, but once you get it right, it just works.
also account for a filter draw or wheel if you'll be using filters. they'd need to be in front of the OAG.
I use a TS-9 OAG with a QHY8 on my 10inch F4 reflector with a QHY5L-2, and I have managed 30min subs whereas before I could barely get past 5 mins with a guidescope.
but yes, you'll have to check if the spacing works with your camera and the OTA back focus available.

I not sure if the synguider is sensitive enough with an OAG, check the QE response for it beforehand and compare with others.
I haven't read comparisons with it and software guiding, but most guiding software have sub pixel guiding, so that's a factor to compare if you're using a guide scope due to the differing pixel scale. if an OAG, then the scale is the same so should be fine, however sensitivity is important else you won't have many stars to guide on.
I've tried a QHY5 mono with the OAG from suburban skies, and saw nothing. then I changed to the QHY5L-2, and I've always had plenty of stars. I couldn't afford the lodestar, so settled for the L2 which I'm very happy with.

as for eliminating the PC, I presume you'll be using a PC for capturing the images, so why not use PHd or other software to guide using either ST4 or pulse guiding?
with pulse guiding, you don't need an ST4 cable. just one usb to the guidecam.
also look at the hitec astrohub. handy to have as it has a usb hub, dew heater, power outlets all built in. helps reduce cables.