View Single Post
Old 14-03-2009, 12:11 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Peter
I have a Mak 150mm which (as with Maks) is rather heavy and sitting on its ring mounts. These are supported at two feet to match the dovetail mount connection which I guess would be similar to your Vixen. Previously I had my 80mm f6 refractor and Telrad also mounted on the rings. The guide scope (a Mak 100mm) was mounted separately. I had noticeable flexure in the circumstance described by Denis and I suspected that although the Mak 150 mounting rings are sturdy it was best not to load them with other gear (except a small finderscope). I have now constructed two platforms so that the Mak 150 only carries only the finderscope. I found that this arrangement reduced my flexure symptoms from 1.5pixels per minute to 0.6pixels per minute which I can (just) tolerate. Perhaps there is some movement in the Mak mirror (apart from mirror flop!) that is contributing to the remaining flexure. I am now thinking about putting a temporary brace between the Mak imaging and guide scopes to see if this will reduce apparent relative movement between them that may still be the cause of flexure. As all mounts etc are different I guess you just have to look at things like cable drag etc carefullly make changes and measure if there is any improvement. If I had a smaller guidescope I would consider mounting it on the Mak guide rings so the relative movement would then be smaller. Best of luck!
Cheers Peter