View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 04:17 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Lightbulb Dew heater on the cheap!

The winter nights have been getting pretty cold and my ed100 refractor hasn't been doing so well with the dew

So I explore my options and after a quick search I decide forking out over $100 to heat my scope isn't worth it.

Next step is to diy!

My first attempt(s) were to make some dew straps using nichrome wire, which to their credit got really hot! The only problem was the wire was burning straight through the support material I had wrapped it around

Trying to find a material that doesn't conduct, has a high heat resistance and is also flexible was beyond me (I was getting too frustrated at this point)

After doing some more searching online for alternatives I found a store on Aliexpress that sells heating elements! At this point I was like jackpot! In my head all I needed was something roughly the right size that was designed for 12v.

I picked the heating element that was closest to what I needed. Just as I was about to checkout I realised they actually make heater elements just for removing dew! They can make them in just about any size, you just need to leave them a message. The dew heater I got is gonna be just like this one but for a 4" telescope (ed100). I'll let you know on quality once the package gets here

Ok so what about the dew controller? Well making the dew controller was actually super simple. All I used was one of those cheap lm2596 dc-to-dc regulator modules. You can get them at jaycar. I replaced the small multi turn resistor with a large potentiometer and placed it in a little plastic project case. The lm2596 is good up to 2amps, 3amps with a heatsink.

All I need to do for the dew controller is find a good place to mount it
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180605_153439.jpg)
123.9 KB86 views
Click for full-size image (20180605_153535.jpg)
134.1 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (20180605_153542.jpg)
143.8 KB60 views