View Single Post
Old 23-07-2017, 08:53 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Peter
I am so happy that you opened this thread.
I have been making a list of things to look into and this belt drive was one of the things I wanted to investigate.

I presume the kits are still available.

I gather you did not purchase the kit but it came with the mount purchase...

I have read a few accounts and it didn't seem too bad but I suspect I will have similar difficulties to your so I find your account most useful.

Had you run the mount pre mod and if so I hope you will post your thoughts on before and after.

Thanks again perfect timing on your part.

Alex
Hi Alex. They are available. Google Rowan belt and you're sure to find it. I think a lot depends on luck but the best assurance of a successful mod is pre-planning. Have the right tools. Get the right grease too. And don't be afraid to get dirty. For example, I soaked both needle bearings in petrol to degrease them, then blew them clean and dry with a compressor. Then regreased with Super Lube. But do it lightly. Too much grease is as bad as none. And get an old tooth brush to help thoroughly clean the worms and main gears. Soak in petrol and clean thoroughly. Then regrease sparingly.

And do not disassemble anything without making notes and taking pics. Putting it back together with the right shims etc is very important.

Peter