View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM
neilcreek (Australia)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll re-take my flats with a higher exposure. I have a few questions about shooting flats:

- Do I need to calibrate the flats with bias and/or darks?
- Do the flat calibration frames have to match the flats in exposure settings and temperature?
- Do the flats have to match the lights with the temperature and exposure settings?
- If I make sure the focus and camera/tube orientation match the lights, can I take the flats at a different time? And if I can always use the same focus and orientation can I always use the same flats? (I'm aware I have to take new flats if I clean the sensor/mirror and if I change collimation)
- I'm thinking of using a flash in a soft box (I have studio lighting equipment) and white reflex paper over the tube as my light source. Is that sufficient?
- If this won't do, and I absolutely must shoot flats at the end of a session, can I order one of Peter's light boxes without the box? It's pretty big and fragile and I'd much rather something flat and more portable I could put on the end of the tube instead.

Unfortunately, shooting all night and staying up till dawn to shoot sky flats isn't an option for me.

That's all I can think of right now. Thank you!