View Single Post
Old 28-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Andy,

Well, I own 2 of the cameras on your two lists! (Moravian G2-8300 and the Trius). Each has advantages! The Kodak chip is bigger so might suit your nebula desires and anything wide field. But, it's much noisier than the Sony chip and a bit less sensitive. I've been able to use my Trius without darks or flats so that is very nice!. In my view if your primary interest was shooting galaxies or PN targets the Sony might win, but for a good field I'd still go with the 8300 chip.

Peter
Hi Peter, thanks for your insights. Having used the KAF 8300 chip in my SBIG i must agree its a noisy thing. Might be nice to move on from that if I go with a Sony. I'm confused by your comment about size though, Sony 3388x2712px
Kodak 3326x2504px surely the 9.1MP is bigger in the Sony, or have I missed something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
good advice.

I would not get too hung up on cooling for the Sony chips Andy - my SX694 ran at 0C throughout the summer with no noticeable thermal noise.

The Australian seller provided no real support when a Peltier failed in my SX camera - it had to go back to the UK and was "do it yourself". However, SX home provided top notch warranty service, repairing the camera in a few days and getting it back quickly.
Thanks Ray, mmmm no noise sounds very appealing! Thanks for the heads up about the Sx service too

Next question- re: pixel size. I often seem to overexpose bright stars with my current Kodak camera, which has bigger, (deeper?) pixels than the Sony. Have either of you experienced this with your Sonys?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Andy01; 28-06-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added a question