View Single Post
Old 17-06-2012, 09:41 AM
sopticals (Stephen)

Smile

[QUOTE=Satchmo;864058]Steven

The 36" X 1" thick mirror he made gave apparently fair images for about 5 minutes each night as it passed from under to overcorrected at sunset.

[/QUOTE

Hi Mark,

I always do my optical testing in the evening, (outside), to more accurately track the actual observing temperatures the mirrors would experience when pressed into service. In this, I expect performance to be at its best, at full cool down (around 5deg C).

Why so thin? "Budgetary restraint". This being a "raw" experiment,as I have limited finances, but time on hand, I decided to build a large aperture dob with a view to limiting amount spent to around $1500.

First I looked to obtain the mirror blank. My research came up with several options, most not cheap. Some options: 20.5" x1.25" quartz blank A$2000+ with freight extra several hundred $, so out of the question. Another option was a 30" x 2" borofloat blank out of China US$5000 plus freight. Then there was the option of a 600mm(23.6") x25mm plate glass blank out of Oz for around NZ$1000 delivered (and these blanks have very poor anneal-cant even be cut conventionally without shattering), so out of the question.

Finally settled on a 25.2" x 3/4" float glass(origin:Belgium) very good anneal,flat (within 4 waves),no wedge,bubble free, etc. admittedly very thin, but cost to me delivered NZ$186. I already have a very usable 22" using this same substrate so figured on trying to push the "envelope" a little further.

Stephen.