View Single Post
Old 13-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

upgraded and regretted it. win10 is very slick and nice to use, but it has twice required a complete reset on my HP Quad i7 laptop (some aspect of the system is marginally stable, but I don't know enough to figure out what is failing). The last crash followed a system update and the effect was that a critical component would not start, so neither would win10.

It takes a long time to rebuild the astro software - a Win10 reset removes every app and it all has to be reinstalled from scratch - so this last time I decided to dust off an ancient Vista machine and put the astro stuff on that. Since Microsoft is no longer supporting Vista (?), it is likely to be unaffected by disastrous updates. Took a while to dig up all the passwords and old 32 bit drivers and I had forgotten how iffy Vista was with driver management, but it seems finally to be a working system. Seems a retrograde step, but maybe the best approach for now - sometime I must buy a new laptop and see if my astro stuff will run reliably on that under win10. Will also have a look at Linux, to see how much can be done in that environment.

Last edited by Shiraz; 13-12-2015 at 11:03 PM.