View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 01:17 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Sharpless 63, The Ghost of Barnard

Something a little different

A couple of great moonless nights helped capture this faint rarely imaged field...in fact I am not sure this pair have been framed together before in a single image?.. at least I couldn't find an example...

In the top right of the image and located in Sagittarius, Barnards Galaxy or NGC 6822, is a barred irregular galaxy about 1.6 Million light years away. It is part of our local group of galaxies and relatively small at just 7000 light years diameter. It has prominent HII and OIII emission nebulae and although often not revealed in images of this galaxy, NGC 6822 also sits behind an extensive foreground field of very faint molecular and Milky Way cirrus dust. The strange ghostly feature lower left in this image is Sharpless 63 and is part of the extensive molecular cloud MBM 159.

6hrs of Luminance was probably the minimum to do the very faint tenuous features in the field justice under my rural-suburban transition skies...but the addition of the Ha to the red and the OIII to the green and blue, accentuated the emission nebulae in the little galaxy nicely Other images of Sh63 show it more brown red but my data seemed to lean towards a greyish-red-blue, more like the faint cirrus near Cen A

The Ghost of Barnard (click on image and use your cursor to pan around)

Scroll around a big one HERE

Hope you find this pairing unique and intriguing

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Barn LRHaGOIIIBOIII small.jpg)
180.6 KB148 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 12-08-2019 at 03:14 PM.