View Single Post
Old 15-12-2011, 10:04 PM
gregbradley

I take it you have a CDK scope from your screen name.

STX would be good in several ways. SBIG seems to have closed the gap whilst retaining the self guiding as well as adding several guiding options. SBIG is ahead of the other camera makers in this regard.

One issue though with a CDK as I was thinking of an STX6303 is that the chip is lower down in the STX body than Apogee or FLI. It is 40mm plus the faceplate plus the filter wheel is thicker at around 30mm.

Normally that would not be an issue but if you plan to use the CDK reducer it has very limited backfocus and ideally is setup around 45mm from memory. It still works further out but spot sizes get larger and F ratio increases.

But it would be cool be able to self guide and not rely on a guide scope with the reducer. STL or QSI would work there. But they don't do the 16803. You can't add an off axis guider to the reducer. I use a guide scope and usually get round stars but perhaps 25% are not.
I plan on adding a 2nd autoguider to reduce the effects of flexure.

One point about megapixels. 2 cameras of similar performance with same pixel size - one is 3 times the size of the other. The larger one you can always crop if you want to zoom in and highlight your target. You can't add to the smaller chip's view.

I am not sure if there is an advantage to the 65mm filters. I think that is needed so the guide chip gets light but I wonder if it reduces vignetting.
Not sure.

I get vignetting on most scopes with the 16803 but not a lot on the TEC180. I get a lot on the CDK.

Greg.