View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Could some of the dithers be taking a long time to settle down due to dec backlash? I tend to balance my setup a little heavy on the camera end (SCT) to try to keep the dec worm in mesh. I also needed to adjust the worm engagement, using the guiding assistant at the start PHD suggested a 2400ms (2.4 seconds) dec backlash compensation time, which I thought to be huge. With tweaks I got that down to about 400ms without any noticeable impact on how the mount moves when guiding, so it obviously leaves enough lash that the worm is not binding anywhere.

How does BYE manage dithers? I never went all that far with it as the old Canon DLSR I was using did not support bulb over USB so I never tried very hard by way of integrating everything. APT requests a dither then monitors the guide star distance to the lock point to decide when it is completed and settled back in to guiding. Does BYE just request the dither and then wait a specified time?

The setup I am trying at the moment (I am trying a number of different workflows) is to set up an image plan with for instance 6 different length exposures in series before repeating it from the start. That way I can dither after the sisth frame and if I progressively stack images (Dark subtraction and stack 30 second images, darks and stack the 60 seconds, then the 120s etc) then finally stack the series of stacked images together, I end up with stacks of same exposure images, which have all had a dither applied since the last one of that time. From memory you can do similar with BYE, set up a line for each exposure time you want then set it to loop the entire plan?