View Single Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:20 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

You can get away with less data per panel if you're going to downsample the final mosaic. This is effectively software binning. Apart from that the individual panels are no different to any other image wrt the amount of time you need to spend on them.

I'd recommend that you do at least one sub of every panel and make sure the mosaic is going to fit together before you spend too much time on it. I share a scope at SRO and we've had problems with a couple of mosaics planned with TSX where we didn't check the fit until the end (and had to reshoot a couple of panels.) We're still trying to figure out what the problem was. It has been claimed (on an Internet forum, so it must be true!) that TSX doesn't account for the curvature of the sky but it could just be that we didn't match PA correctly between plan and execution.

Spreading your imaging time each night across several panels might help a little with matching them to each other but I don't have a strong preference between doing it that way or doing complete panels one at a time.

Cheers,
Rick.