View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Really Alex?

Ibid: "The novel [The War of the Worlds by H.G Wells] has even influenced the work of scientists, notably Robert H. Goddard, who, inspired by the book, invented both the liquid fuelled rocket and multistage rocket, which resulted in the Apollo 11 Moon landing 71 years later" (http://genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov/p...es/goddard.pdf)

Sad? I'd say glorious.
The article is no more than heresay evidence and although I thank you for going to the trouble of finding something to counter what I suggest I feel that the statement that his interest in planets was somehow sparked by Wells to be dubious and perhaps something invented by the journalist ..and many journalists are difficult to differentiate from fiction writers ...indeed many journalists become fiction writers, but we should remember just because we find something is in print does not mean it is reliable.

Here is some irony for you..I topped the whole fifth year (final hear) in science (98.5%) and my prize was ..you guessed it "War of the Worlds" by H.G.Wells...maybe that is why I have the obsession that we must build battle stars to patrol the outer Solar System.

Alex