View Single Post
Old 23-10-2008, 10:47 PM
§AB
Its only a column of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
Spot on SAB, it's not the scope or my modest skills, it's the skies. Last night was exceptional. I've never really tested what mag skies we have - from home it's pretty good, but Porepunkah is always better.

When the transparency is that good, a million viable targets open up for you even with a 4.5". For instance, there was a mag 12.1 galaxy in the list above that even though faint was quite easy to pick up scanning through the field. However it was positively 'bright' compared to other tiny, very dim ones I saw while scanning around Dorado. Now I only identified the ones that were on the chart, and these were the brightest. What mag were some of these others?
I might check those galaxies out for you on sky-map.org, see what those other little fuzzies were . 12.1 for a galaxy is a good effort for a 4.5", Ive seen mag 15.9 stars from my place with the 12" so I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you were pushing 13 from your location. Yeah 4.5" scopes do an admirable job from dark skies, the one time I had mine out in the sticks I got a fantastic view of the Flame Nebula and other objects that I had no hope of seeing from melbourne.

Quote:
But if I lived in Melbourne I'd probably battle to see OC, and have to go out and get me one of them there cannons, LOL!

Cheers -
I'd like to flop my cannon out on the porpunkah airstrip