View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 07:57 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Hi Alexander!

Well, when you see something, that's the result! The link I posted earlier of the LVW's was not done by me, it was done by another astronomer, and I thought I would pass that info along.

From what I have saw in the LVW's, the views of stars were pinpoints right out to the edges with superior transmission in my 10" f/4.72 when I did own the 8mm Orion LVW and also tried a 22mm and 17mm LVW.

All three of them showed perfectly tight stars with excellent transmission, albeit a bit of lateral color. I had a 13mm Hyperion and an 8mm Hyperion and the edges showed some edge aberrations. The 13mm has some field curvature, which obviously comes from the mirror and maybe a bit from the eyepiece as well.....not 100% positive on that one.

If you see field curvature in an eyepiece, I believe it is always coming from the mirror no matter what eyepiece you use, ( I think?), but some eyepieces will show this more than others. If you see astigmatism in an eyepiece, it is the eyepiece at fault. I believe the "fishbowl effect" comes from rectilinear distortion.

Quote:
Even if at the extremes the FOV the stars didn't remain pin point, any softening in the Hyperion happened beyond the field stop of the LVW.
The LVW's and Hyperions almost have the same apparent field of view.

LVW's = 65°
Hyperions = 68°

As to your post: If it makes you happy to see what you saw, that is the bottom line and that is all that matters! if I or someone else sees things differently, it really doesn't matter! I wish you well, and hope you had a great observing session! Having a 17.5" f/4.5 is a great light bucket to have and I would hand over ALL of my eyepieces and keep just ONE just to own one of those size telescopes!

You sure do have a nice size scope there good sir!

Have yourself a great weekend and may you enjoy thousands more nights looking through that incredible light bucket!

Cheers,