View Single Post
Old 16-02-2019, 10:35 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ivan
Is so, would you recommend me spending the $400 as I would need a 1.25” and a 2” for my 12” goto and quality Televue eye pieces
Cheers
Hi Martin,

I am not sure if the bottom of the focuser on that telescope is threaded or not. You're in luck if it is.

The bottom of "some" focusers are threaded.

All of my scopes have Feathertouch Focusers which are threaded to accept 52mm male filter threads on the bottom of the focuser drawtube. 2" Astronomy Filters are threaded 48mm male thread. I have a 52mm to 48mm Step down ring screwed to the bottom of all of my focusers and loctited in place. I use 2" filters exclusively and screw them to the bottom of the focuser drawtube. This means I can use whatever eyepiece I like with the filter, without having to unscrew and rescrew the filter onto a different eyepiece. While it's not as good an option as a filter slide, not all scopes can accept a filter slide due to clearances in the top end of the scope. My scopes can't have a filter slide fitted as the Upper Cage Assembly's have been minimally sized to enable use of the smallest possible secondary mirror, which was more important to me than fitting a filter slide, as I had the bottom of the focuser option available for filter use. Some people might also tell you the filter should be closer to the eyepiece field stop but I have A/Bed countless targets with the filter in both positions and never picked a difference and if that were correct a filter slide would be even worse, and plenty of those get sold.

Cheers
John B