View Single Post
Old 22-09-2020, 11:52 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Small tweaks and star colours

I've made some small tweaks to the image to cut back the black point a smidge and to tweak the star colours. This version is certainly more aesthetically pleasing, to me at least, and I don't think that I would be wanting to push it any further.

Link to revised version on Astrobin is here.

The star colours are still an interesting point of discussion and I want to lurch into a discussion on this to help me understand it a bit better.

I am concluding that the white/blue stars in the image are, just that, white/blue. Checking in Stellarium for most of the bright white/blue stars in the core of the cluster reports that they have a colour index in the range of 0.50 to 0.60. I haven't found a definitive resource yet to help me conclude categorically that a colour index in this range should result in the colours that I am seeing but indications are that this should be so. I have attached an annotated version of the image which includes the B-V colour index for a number of the stars (information extracted from Stellarium).

Comments from other persons on this forum that are far more learned in these matters would be much appreciated

Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC6124_LRGB_Ve_sig_1000px.jpg)
140.6 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (NGC6124_LRGB_Ve_annotate_1000px.jpg)
141.9 KB11 views