View Single Post
Old 14-02-2017, 02:02 PM
acotiga (Andrei)

Let's settle first the assumed laser problem. In Au, like in NZ, laser pointers are restricted import items. Special dispensation is required. However, this PA device is not a laser pointer, much less a handheld laser pointer. Can it be used recklessly? Yes, anything can at the end of the day. Stupidy doesn't know any bounds. But it's unlikely that a fellow astronomer would start hunting planes and the device is not suject to the ban. Please have a look at HERE. The closest equivalent would be laser firearm sight. I would also recommend the Wiki page of lasers and aviation safety. they have a pretty good explanation of the effects of a 5mW laser at 1.1km away. As responsible users, it is important to understand what effect our lasers might have and while not trying to minimise the problem, I'm trying to tackle it from a common sense point of view.

Secondly, alignment with BQ octans is indeed a very good and reliable method. If you are able to find it at night in the vast emptiness which is around the S pole without problems, then you obviously don't need the lasers. The lasers point you in the vicinity of BQ Octans and then feel free to tweak while looking through the telescope. For this I hope your telescope has a better DEC setting circle than the EQ6.

Tiny variations in your DEC setting will impact your ability to PA while looking at the BQ Octans asterism through the scope. And we are talking minutes, when 1mm on the EQ6 setting circle is 2 degrees.

I think this has turned into a "how do you polar align" type of thread. The device is aimed at beginners and people who haven't yet settled on a method. While I find some of the methods intriguing, I've had problems with some of them in the past and gave some up in frustration.