View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Phil Hart

Communal freight from Melbourne to Cairns for Solar Eclipse

I am finalising a quote with 'The Moving Group' to freight gear from Melbourne to Cairns for the solar eclipse. So if you have gear you would like shipped, please let me know! It is *much* more economic as a group than doing it individually!

A contact has kindly agreed to receive the gear at his work located in North Cairns not far from the airport.

For a telescope, mount, counterweights and a small box of additional gear, I expect the cost to be around $150 each way (ie. $300 total returned to Melbourne). You need to be prepared to contribute a bit more if things don't work out quite as I hope. If you only have a small amount to transport then we can do it for less.

Most of your gear should be in sturdy crates to survive the journey and pack efficiently into the truck, but the removalists can wrap up a few things like telescope tripods etc.

Leaving Melbourne on Thursday 25th October, it should all arrive in Cairns on Friday 2nd November or worst case the next delivery on Friday 9th November. Of course, I can't and won't be held responsible for any delays or damage.. you join in at your own risk!

There should be reasonable flexibility with picking up the gear in Cairns.. with hopefully a time available in the afternoon of Saturday 10th or Sunday 11th November. Picking up during business hours either side of the weekend will also be ok. Then everything should be returned during business hours in the day or two after the eclipse.

If you want to join in this scheme, here's what you need to do:

1) Send me an email (via profile link above)
2) List exactly what you want shipped, including dimensions and approximate weight
3) Bring the gear to my place in Hawthorn to be ready for collection in the few days before Thursday 25th October

Once I receive your request, I'll reply to arrange payment and a time for dropping off your gear.

cheers
Phil
0438 037 567