View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 11:45 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Hi Michael, glad persistence paid off and you got some viewing in.
Were you able to see the Running Man nebula in Orion? I haven't seen it yet- I'm guessing it's one for a dark site. Thank you for the report.
I haven't specifically gone looking for it yet, but I must have a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Skippy skies, a knowledge of local weather patterns, and a good gut feeling are invaluble in our hobby. Sounds like the stuff of a satisfying session.
It's quite a good site, the surrounding hills seem to keep the clouds at bay rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Good to hear that you had a good night, Michael. I find 1808 and 1792 quite elusive as well, I think because they are a far way from the brighter stars of the constellation. Also at this time of year they tend to be in Dobson's hole a fair bit of the time. I got them both the other night but got so frustrated chasing them around the zenith I only did notes on one. They look good in the same FOV though.

Glad you found the charts helpful with the SMC. There is certainly a lot to look at there.
It was quite difficult to work out which way I should tilt/turn the dob to get where I wanted and when to do the complete flip through zenith. I found chasing down 1 or 2 objects just as or more satisfying than ticking off a list of a dozen items.