View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

exactly what do you "want to achieve with it"? why cant you with what you have ( you should be able to, if I can with dslr on regular tripod ).

I would ignore what gear you want, put the budget on the mount only get new ota later on. maybe a celestron cgx or cgem ii . big and solid with high payload capacity. Important to NOT buy something that has load capacity close to what you'll have as it can wobble more and put more strain on the motors and gears. So if you want a 20kg ota dont put on a 25kg limit mount, a 50kg mount will give you better and more accurate performance. You can use just a camera on such a mount with a dovetail plate or your current ota but dont know what your problem is with your existing setup so cant much else. My cgem dx I've used reflectors, refractors, scts and camera with lens alone on it, no problem. I only have celestron gps accessory which is fine connected to it. The telescope tube itself is irrelevant a good mount will work well with anything of reason you put on it.if you scrimp on the mount no matter how much you spend on a tube or camera it will remain a limiting factor in your setup that cant be fixed without replacing. So jump to replacing it with what you're likely to end up getting anyway rather than something that will track poorly or wobble because you've overloaded it or theres a slight breeze. It all starts with a solid mount, any shortfalls in your purchase here get amplified through the imaging train.