View Single Post
Old 22-03-2017, 07:27 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Colour cameras are about 50% less sensitive than mono cameras because of the filters that are permanently placed on each pixel.

I honestly doubt that IMX094 reaches 40% QE in Halpha. Even if absolute QE is 70% for pixels with red filter, then this value would need to be divided by 4 because 3/4 of the pixels won't record any useful photons when this colour camera is used with a Halpha filter. I am assuming this chip has a Bayer matrix. So real QE is more like 15% at the most in Halpha for IMX094 that is used in QHY367c or 810a.

Yeah it really needs to be the mono version of the sensor. I was disappointed to see it was the colour sensor. Sony may not be willing to do low run mono versions unlike Panasonic.

I thought it might still be a good nightscape camera but at that price its too expensive for that and a bit bulky to use for that as well (it would need an external power source and a computer to run it).

So a cooled one shot colour sensor despite being 36mp full frame, is not that exciting for that sort of money.

Greg.