View Single Post
Old 28-12-2016, 03:32 AM
glend (Glen)

Remarkable "Seeing" despite the heat

Maybe its just local conditions but i have been surprised by the remarkable Seeing conditions here at Lake Macquarie since Christmas eve. Every night since the 24th has been good despite the daytime heat and the strong northesterly winds, once evening came any lingering cloud had vanished, by 11pm the wind has died away to nothing and the sky calmer than i have seen here in over five years. I have been imaging every night, pretty much all night, taking advantage of these conditions. There have been times i looked at Metaguide and thought it had stopped as nothing seemed to be moving in the Seeing graph and the guidestar window was showing a stable dot as the guidestar. My imaging is pretty much automated from the observatory running under SGP control but i spent much more time than normal monitoring operations from my chair in the obs with a cup if tea. Despite my bad eye the sky was as clear and stable as i can remember, and was showing 20.82 on the SQM. If this is a heat wave the nights have certainly been amazing. I hope others on the east coast are enjoying the same.