Thread: I've got a SPOT
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2012, 07:18 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Nope, they're a toy. A nice toy, but a toy nonetheless.

Out on yachts at sea, we use EPIRB's with built-in GPS. They are very accurate, and are linked directly to the sea safety authorities around the world. They don't rely on your wife getting a text message over an unreliable telephone network, on a phone that may be out of range or have a flat battery, who then has to call 000 and try to convince them that you are 54 miles offshore and she'd like them to go rescue you.

My last one cost me $1600, and I hope I never have to use it.

Cheers,
Jason.
Well... no... you can do it that way but you certainly don't have to. In a life threatening situation the SPOT has an "SOS" button which goes through the GEOS emergency contraol centre in Texas and they pass the GPS position on to the SAR authority for the conutry where the SPOT was activated. Not exactly the same as an EPIRB but not too different... When you register your SPOT you nominate a primary and secondary emergency contact as well and this is passed direct to the SAR authority on activation of an SOS, so they get a little head start there on the intelligence gathering side. But the SPOT is a commercial system, not legislated as is the EPIRB/PLB system.

In the meantime you can use it to let your contact know you are OK as often as you like, send them a custom message, or let them know you need help without activating national search and rescue organisations when it isn't life threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
I would want to know what satellite system it uses, Good luck.

Dennis.
It uses the underutilised slow data band on the Globalstar satellites. Globalstar invented the SPOT system to make better use of this band on their satellites.

Al.