View Single Post
Old 20-07-2020, 10:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
Do you slightly off set your balance “East Heavy” as it does help your tracking and guiding to some degree
All my mounts I adjust the balance slightly east heavy
Some folk do and some folk don’t bother, but I found it helpful particularly with nights of less than favourable seeing
Martin
Yes I do yet things change and remember because I am only tracking I am very aware of my mount...when I start guiding it will be interesting to see if I have to pay so much attention to the counter weights. All good.
And I have not yet pulled this mount down and fine tuned it ...so all things considered it ain't too bad.
I am so looking forward to tonight, like last night, some auto guiding and lower gain if I can break the habit..although last night I reduced my gain on what I have been doing in the past but so far having had one unsuccessful processing run I have had opportunity to look for improvement but can't notice it yet.
And given things are starting to work will probably do some darks..even a dither.
I ordered a dew strip but had purchased a small wind screen heater/fan from a car place..Auto Barn? And set it up on the floor blowing up and over the scope which seemed to work ok but hopefully the dew strip will be here tomorrow...Usually I get by with shields but the dew has been terrible recently.
I want to get the two units (old eq 6 and the little heq5) working before I take delivery of the eq8 and whatever scope I get..after last night's experience with the little gallaxy I am thinking 16 inch again
And a big score..my daughter decided to replace the wonderful desk she built, mother gets it but I get mothers old (as new) desks)for the roll off..one less thing to source.
And I plan to run the eq8 on its tripod to get a feel for things before I build the pier so that gives me so much more time for other things seeing I don't have to move 2 ton of rock right away.
Just doing a short Lagoon now, from last night, maybe, hopefully my last unguided high gain photo..but really I am amazed what I can get away with using high gain...good to know if you are in a rush.
Alex