View Single Post
Old 17-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Colin,
It sounds like you have checked 1 and 4. 2 is easy to check if you remove the cap that conceals the worm bearing and adjusting ring (you need needle nose pliers for this). If there is longitudinal movement of the worm between the worm bearings you can feel the worm move with your finger when you change DEC direction. If this is the case you need to tighten the ring that holds the worm in place. Have a look at "Stage 2 - Stripping the worm carrier" on Astrobaby's website: http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6%20rebu...rip%20down.htm The third image shows the ring that adjusts tension. Don't over tighten this as the worm will not move freely.
I have been watching that and it appears to be okay, it is tight but not super tight. I both tried it tighter and looser, neither seemed to make any difference. On the plus side I have noted that I have physically see it happening when watching the worm shaft. When using the hand controller at a rate of 2, I can see the non-movement in the worm shaft for a second or two when switching directions. At the very least it means it is testable without having to keep toying outside.

Quote:
Colin,
3 and 5 are more work. Did you ensure you engaged the set screws for the belt gears on the flat section of the worm and motor shaft when you installed these and that the set screws were locked down tight. I've seen cases where the belt gear rotates slightly on the shaft because the set screw was not aligned with the flat on the shaft.
It sounds like it may be this that is the problem. I didn't do the belt mod, it was done by the previous owner and I hadn't had any issues for the last 8 months. I could always give it a double check to make sure that they didn't somehow become lose in the strip down. I cannot imagine that they would have become lose but it seems like a logical explanation.

Quote:
Colin,
If all of these are ok then it is possible you always had this backlash but you were operating on a different section of the DEC ring gear. EQ6 ring gears often have a tight spot and a loose spot however since the DEC axis never completely rotates it is possible to adjust the mesh and the position of the ring gear so you normally operate in either the tight part or the loose part. You can change this by releasing the DEC clutch and rotate the DEC axis with the hand controller.
Pretty sure this isn't the case. As I haven't done any PEC training I have in the past just found it easier to sometimes point the telescope at a star and then tell TheSkyX "You're here" so the worm cycle should have had a chance to move around every now and then. Sometimes don't bother Parking either