View Single Post
Old 29-04-2013, 06:09 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
What I can't understand is why (to my limited knowledge), someone hasn't made their revolving track system from a lower flat(ish) "u" shaped channel with the upper dome section track made to fit inside on a "bed" of ball bearings...

Actually, I was considering the similar option of course (not two pieces, because this would be too much, as Rom suggested) - U channel on the base and wheels on the dome side.
I even considered making the "u" channel into concrete wall (by impressing the shape with round plastic pipe) or cutting the channel (with router) into the wooden round-ish frame...
But, I figured out that the bending of the round tube into torus is way easier job (at least for my friend who have the necessary facilities) than bending of the "U" channel and/or other alternatives... so this is why I will have the torus, after all.. compromise must be made somewhere, dictated by the local circumstances..
And it will be on the dome side, because of two reasons:
- I want more weight, distributed towards the lower part of the structure, to increase the stability on high winds
- I want to have the firm and stiff base onto which the wooden frame will be mounted.

And, yes, this way it is only one round bit (torus itself).. and couple of (8 in my case) stomps to carry the wheels...

Last edited by bojan; 29-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.