View Single Post
Old 14-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Timmo (Tim)

Yeah I think I was way off focus. I have to admit I didn't give it a huge amount of time to get it right, the position was way up high in the sky (I will have to get used to twisting my body in all directions!).

It only comes with a red dot finder yes.

Today I looked up some more stuff on collimation and found the mirror doesn't have a center marker on it so added my own (was much easier than expected!). That was off a bit at both ends and I am pretty confident I have it nicely lined up now. Because of where I live I have a couple of km's of paddocks to look into so I focused on a very obvious lonely dark tree stump off in the distance and then lined the red dot up to that. I find that the red dot even on the lower lit setting is a bit ordinary but it's ok for now. If there's something reasonably priced that I could replace it with that works a lot better I'm up for suggestions.

I should now have everything all lined up correctly so now I just need to wait for this crummy weather to go away, probably a few days at least by the look of it.

One last thing, am I jumping the gun by looking at these?
http://www.opticscentral.com.au/cele...l#.V9jICq1c_HF

I keep reading that better quality eye pieces make a huge difference and from other things I've read I wouldn't want to go lower than 6mm so thought this would give me a really nice range of lenses. It's expensive yes, but if it means getting a lot more use (and more enjoyable use) out of this scope I'm up for the spend.