View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
StarLane
Futurist

Hi NMO,

You have a nice scope there, so make the most of it and buy some good EP`s. The best of the ones you have listed would be the LV 9mm IMO.
The fact that your scope does not track, you should consider a wider field EP so you don`t need to re-position so often. At high magnifications the subject moves out of view quite fast, as you may know. You should consider at least 60 degrees.
I have three Burgess/TMB planetary EP`s and I love em. Very reasonable price and great eye relief. I like a combo of semi wide fields (60-70) and good eye relief for comfortable viewing over long viewing sessions. Look at the 8 or 9mm @ 60 degrees, $149 from memory.
I also have two Baader Hyperions (similar to Stratus). These are also good value, 68 degrees and 20mm ER. Checkout the 8mm at $215.
I have a 30mm Pentax XW and have tried a 10mm XW which I have now ordered and it`s arriving soon. Judging by the great sharpness, contrast and throughput the Pentax EP`s have, I reckon the XF series would also be a good choice, 60 degrees and excellent ER, good value for the price, also $215. They make an 8.5 and 12mm. But, the XW 10mm is better than all of them around this focal length IMO.

Remember this quote I read some time ago, (I hope I can remember what it said, it is something along these lines),
"A $5000 scope with a $50 EP will give you $50 views. A $5000 scope with a $500 EP will give you million dollar views".
Remember the eyepiece is half the telescope, and, an optical system is only as good as it`s weakest link. If you can afford it, go for the better EP`s in the beginning to avoid disappointment, you have them forever and will not have to upgrade.