View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 04:28 PM
gregbradley

Bit of an update.

Since my last post I received the 9mm and 12.5mm Morpheus eyepieces.

I tried them out last night along with the 17.5mm Morpheus again and compared the views with various other eyepeices.

Scope : AP130GT
Done at my home in semi rural skies. Lovely clear night, reasonably good seeing.

9mm Morpheus compared to the 17.5 and 12.5mm. All 3 seem very similar viewing objects with of course different magnifications.

The most obvious thing about the 9mm was the sky was quite a bit blacker. Not sure if this is only because of the shorter focal length but I don't think so.

I compared the 9mm Morpheus against a 9mm Nagler T1, 10mm Masuyama 85 degree, 12mm University Optics Ortho, 15mm Edmunds RKE.

Against the 9mm Nagler. Both are very sharp and wonderful views. The main difference is the image in the Morpheus is more "stable" due to the ease you can reach a comfortable viewing position. The T1 Nagler just has a rubber eye ring and whilst its not hard to maintain a good viewing position if you go offaxis like with most Naglers etc you'll get blackouts.

The Morpheus eyecup has a wing on it and screws up to get a nice comfortable viewing position with its high eye relief. I did not realise how important eye relief is. I don't wear glasses so its not usually an issue but its not the only reason to have good eye relief. It means you can immerse yourself in the view more easily without little flares and blackouts from moving slightly.

The Morpheus was slightly sharper than the Nagler but not by a lot.
But it was the first time I saw all 6 Trap stars in Orion. I also saw them with a 3.5mm Nagler T6 and a barlowed Morpheus 17.5. So a testament to the optical quality of the AP130 GT which I would describe as exquisite.

The 10mm Masuyama is also a very pleasant eyepiece to use When I looked to the edges the last perhaps 20% were less than perfect. Barlowing the lens though and the edges were corrected and sharp.

The 10mm UO Ortho gave a very detailed and sharp view but that 40 odd degree FOV is a bit hard to take compared to these others. The 15mm RKE was also very good but the same applies.

Open clusters can be particularly beautiful with this setup. Different bluish stars and yellow stars are pinpoints and very beautiful. Its hard to imagine these little pinpoints being blazing nuclear furnaces.

All in all the Morpheus are a stunning range of eyepieces. I am tempted to get the 6.5mm but I can barlow the 17.5 or the 12.5 so it seems a bit over the top (not that that has ever stopped me!).

I compared the 17.5 Morpheus to the 16mm Nagler T6 again and yet again whilst the Nagler is superb the Morpheus is more engaging, a bit better detail and contrast. Again its the eye relief which is the major difference. The 16mm Nagler though is quite comfortable and does not black out easily either.

I looked through the 15 and 25 Dual ED again. Overall a good eyepiece for the cost but they are never going to be in this league.

I have 2 more Edmunds RKA eyepieces on their way to me as well as some TMB Planetary 2 eyepieces. I may not be able to resist getting a Baader Classic Ortho probably the 18mm which seems to review the best.
I would like to try out a TV Delite. I also have an APM 30mm UFF coming.

I am keen to hear others favourite eyepieces to get some ideas.

I hope this is helpful.

Greg.