View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
You are right Chris: this is why I said the WoodWonder boxes have functional but adequate joinery, and even so I don't think the guy who makes them will be making a fortune any time soon. Fancy stuff takes a lot of time.

I have made a lot of boxes/cases for Adelaide made amplifier-mixers for DJ's and audiophiles. These are mainly sold overseas and the clientele are very demanding, so I know the problems re labour-intensive work: and my hourly rate is pretty low to compete.

I think the first one in particular would have to be a "labour of love" to get everything right. I wouldn't be making them as a commercial proposition but more because I enjoy it: and the price would reflect that. I have had a couple of enquiries following my semi tongue-in-cheek comment, so I'll put it down as my next project and post details when I am finished. I am sure I could keep it below the WoodWonder price, but I don't know at this stage how much it would cost to post them around the country: this will obviously depend on size and weight. Another issue is the wood used for construction. The WoodWonder boxes are made from ~10mm "red oak", which is not easily available here: so I am thinking of marine ply with hard-wood edging (probably "Tassie oak").

If you could clarify your comment about time-frame I could work to a deadline as currently my Astronomy education business is on hold until they lift the 1.5m and 4sqm per person restrictions (I have a portable planetarium). I am working on a 14" binocular at present, but that can go on hold if necessary.

All the best,

Dean
Hi Dean,

I’m all for supporting local businesses. It might be best to take this off line. I’ll pm you with my contact details.