View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 10:39 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
@Dean, do you reckon if you did find some takers and made a few that you would be able to make it for much less than the others making such things? I’d have thought it would be pretty labour intensive to do a high quality job and time, as they say, is money.

I could be interested depending on timeframes -I’m generally all for buying local.

Chris

Ps I think wrt wood wonders I actually prefer the version without the mouldings.
You are right Chris: this is why I said the WoodWonder boxes have functional but adequate joinery, and even so I don't think the guy who makes them will be making a fortune any time soon. Fancy stuff takes a lot of time.

I have made a lot of boxes/cases for Adelaide made amplifier-mixers for DJ's and audiophiles. These are mainly sold overseas and the clientele are very demanding, so I know the problems re labour-intensive work: and my hourly rate is pretty low to compete.

I think the first one in particular would have to be a "labour of love" to get everything right. I wouldn't be making them as a commercial proposition but more because I enjoy it: and the price would reflect that. I have had a couple of enquiries following my semi tongue-in-cheek comment, so I'll put it down as my next project and post details when I am finished. I am sure I could keep it below the WoodWonder price, but I don't know at this stage how much it would cost to post them around the country: this will obviously depend on size and weight. Another issue is the wood used for construction. The WoodWonder boxes are made from ~10mm "red oak", which is not easily available here: so I am thinking of marine ply with hard-wood edging (probably "Tassie oak").

If you could clarify your comment about time-frame I could work to a deadline as currently my Astronomy education business is on hold until they lift the 1.5m and 4sqm per person restrictions (I have a portable planetarium). I am working on a 14" binocular at present, but that can go on hold if necessary.

All the best,

Dean