View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 08:34 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
The problem I have with that -and I did buy some from Clarke Rubber but if it is deep enough to fit the box it is all big impossible to cut a heat shape as an indent only. If you cut right through it he eyepiece ends up resting on the bare metal beneath and it is still impossible to cut holes neatly enough. It requires laser cutting but then you may as well spend more money on a commercially built EP case.
If you cut neatly right though with a sharp knife you can remove the piece, trim off (say) 1 or 2 cm from the bottom, and re-insert it in the hole. A bit of double-sided tape underneath will keep it in place or you can use some contact adhesive on the edges if you want (but probably not necessary): and nobody will ever know...

BTW, I don't have one of the Wood Wonders boxes, but a friend does for his Ethos collection. They are nice, they are well thought out with nice touches like the built-in red LED's, and they do the job really well. The carvings are made with some sort of CNC router, and Ken's comment about Bali is true, but the woodworkers in Bali get paid very little for their amazing efforts... If I were buying one, I would save my $US100 and get it un-carved.

Speaking as a wood worker they are definitely built to a price. The joinery is functional and adequate for the job. I suspect they are as good as you will get commercially unless you pay big money for a time-consuming custom build.

In fact I have often thought about building something similar here in Oz, although I would probably mainly use marine ply for its ability to resist warping and cracking and cope with moisture etc. Any takers?

- Dean