View Single Post
Old 16-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’m a newbie ( 9 months into the hobby) I’ve had my HEQ5 mount for 2 months

Forget using the polar scope it’s a waist of time unless you are perched on top of a mountain with perfect views of the SCP

To set up my mount I do the following -

Use Stellarium ( free download ) to find the exact time of the “noon meridian” ( the time where the sun is directly overhead on your nominated day )

Set up a 1m long x 12mm dia piece of wooden dowel ( Bunnings ) 90 degrees to level ground, preferably on a driveway or paved area ( use a bubble level or digital inclinometer to ensure wooden dowel is 90 degree to the ground )

At the precise time of the noon meridian ( pick a sunny day ) mark the ground just in front of the wooden dowel in the centre of its shadow and then mark another position in the centre of the shadow cast by the wooden dowel at the end. Scribe or mark a line between the two marked points, this will be the approximate direction of true south

Set your HEQ5 mount tripod base along this true south line with the leg marked N pointing and centred over the true south line ( use a plumb bob to ensure the mount base is also centred over this true south line

Then level your mount with a bubble level and / or digital inclinometer on all 3 axis ( this is very important, it must be leve )

Fit your HEQ5 mount head as per the manual

Set your