View Single Post
Old 17-09-2015, 08:26 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

DSLR Cooling ....again !

I refuse to be beaten. As anyone who followed the earlier thread on cooling a DSLR noticed, the problem is to get the effect where you need it, at the sensor. The Cold Finger seems to be the only workable solution so I've attacked the problem again from my DIY angle.
The KM 7D is IR modded and expendable. When I did the mod I decided to leave out the internal stainless steel frame that wraps around the back of the camera, couldn't be bothered with it actually.

Using some copper slabs from a couple of big server CPU heatsinks and the stainless frame after some hacking I may have a workable mod.
Progress pictures should tell the story. I milled most of the other metal off the heat sinks and cut a shoulder round the one that will sit behind the sensor. Trying to find some silicon pad material as a non conducting transfer medium to the back of the sensor. I'll join the two copper slabs with a brass screw and some heat compound between or maybe solder them.
The final pic with a radiator on is just a dummy up, may or may not be used but shows the idea. I'll use some standoffs to support the rear screen out a few millimetres to accommodate the finger entry.
The piece of Alum in pics 2 & 3 is just a temp support as is the tube in 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (A2084.jpg)
93.7 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (B2085.jpg)
81.9 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (C2086.jpg)
105.2 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (D2090.jpg)
88.3 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (E2094.jpg)
102.4 KB39 views