View Single Post
Old 28-04-2018, 11:43 PM
gregbradley

Regarding the star eater issue with Sony A7xxx cameras I have never found it to be an issue with nightscapes with A7r, A7r2 A7r3.

A7s models seem to be most affected due to the large pixel size. The algorithim picks up dim stars that are I think its 1 pixel across and confuses it with a hot pixel. With the A7r, A7r2 the pixel size is small (36mp and 42.4mp) so its much rarer and you won't be able to tell.

There is also a work around for up to 30 seconds to turn it off on A7r and A7r2.

I have seen tests where A7r3 does not show star eater virtually at all and I have yet to see my own images degraded to the extent I can tell.

Hot pixel noise in shadows can be an issue but the solution is to use Capture single pixel noise reduction and it cleans all that up.

The Sony has many other advantages and this has been hyped up way out of proportion.

The D850 Nikon and the Sony A7r3 and now Sony A7iii have the latest cutting edge best on market sensors bar none.

The D850 is perhaps arguably the best out there. I am not sure if flats are an issue though. Same with a Sony, flats may be an issue. It has something to do with scaling of the data ( I don't know much about it).

Greg.