View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
Chris I have been fortunate to upgrade many of my toys and have far too many cameras all which have there uses.If i was to keep one it would be the Canon 1dx mk2 which I realise is far to expensive for most people to justify. Based on all the others the Canon 5Dmk 4 is probably the best pick for all round or perhaps a new 5DMk3 if you can still get one..The 6Ds are good but not as robust as the 5Ds and all my older ones have many hot pixels from long exposures and lots of work.I was not overly impressed with the 6DMk2 compared with the original on picture quality.
As you do a multitude of different photo scenarios the 5DMk4 covers nearly all bases.
Back to your original question though I chose the 1Dx Mk 2 because I predominately shoot in low light and I have a life long afflction to birds and this camera has exceptional ability in those areas.My number of keepers is higher all thing being equal.If I did not get this I would have gone for the 5Dmk4.I don,t have one as I also have a 5Ds for high resolution work but you have to get everything perfect to take full advantage of those 50mp.
Hope this helps . Derek
Thanks very much Derek - that’s definitely helpful.

Good to know that some of the excellent shots you have posted in the terrestrial section would have been shot on a 1DX Mk2. Friends of ours used to shoot gymnastics professionally with a pair of 1Dxs and the results were superb. Not only were they able to stop the action impeccably well but they had to cope with some fairly awkward and variable light conditions in the gyms too. They had older model 5Ds as backups. All very good cameras.

I haven’t rushed out to get a 1DX partly because they’re a fair bit heavier than the others I’m looking at and - as you mentioned - they are a lot more expensive. I’m not really comfortable about shelling out that much as photography is one of several hobbies rather than The One Grand Passion!. Although, I’m in my 70s now, and you can’t take it with you…

Some of the reviewers I’ve read in the last day or two were, like you, a little bit lukewarm about the 6D Mk2. When compared with the 7D Mk2, there were what sounded like relatively modest gains in some areas, set against losses in others. And I already own a 7D Mk2, which does a very good job on the moving birds. On the few occasions when I get my part of the deal right anyway!

At this stage, your suggestion of a 5D is looking good. Thanks for your post.

Cheers,

Chris