View Single Post
Old 16-07-2018, 12:50 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Those are scopes you have are really nice refractors.

The reasoning is that I find when I view the planets, the brightness of the object in the dobs impacts the view somewhat. Tried with a ND filter but the view was not as pleasant either. Awesome for deep sky stuff

Can I ask how do the APM and Teleskop refractors go for planetary views?

Thanks,

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I have looked through several large Dobs including I think it was a 24inch at Cowra.

These are great but huge and unwieldy.

I have had several high end APOs. The most memorable visual APO was a Tak FS152. I got that scope at the time as the TOA150 was not yet out otherwise I would have gotten the TOA150.

A TOA150 would be outstanding and particularly for imaging as Marcus Davies images show how good they are. But I have read many times they are heavy and front heavy so they don't balance easily.

My TEC180 was good visually as well. Orion started to look a bit greenish but I mainly used it for imaging.

I had a Nexstar C11 that was great. The Goto's and easy setup of the SCTs is very appealing.

You'll see more in a large Dob but the offset is the size and setup. Not sure about how well the gotos are as I have never had a dob.

A 6 inch APO is a very versatile scope. APM and Teleskop services are selling 152mm "APO"s these days quite cheaply. They are probably great for visual being a doublet and rapid cooldown. For imaging it would have to prove itself as the usual requirement is a triplet.

Greg.