View Single Post
Old 16-10-2016, 03:45 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Ok here are results for 30mm SQ TEC TES1-12703.

1st the fan. Increasing hotside fan voltage increase cooling capacity...it spins the fan faster re-moving hotside heat more rapidly. But, at some voltages (9~11V DC) its quite acceptable to run the fan from the same voltage as the TEC and the decrease in cooling capacity is minimal.

2nd. The TEC does appear to operate best around 9.0V ~10.5V DC (11V is ok as well). Its difficult to gauge as my PSU can only go down to 10.6 on 12V rail and up to 7.43V DC on 5V rail. But the TEC at 10.6V reached -7.0C easily where my controller switched off...it's a low as it can control.

So best cooling appears to be 9.0~11V on TEC fan at either 12V or at same voltage as the TEC. Increasing above this see the capacity drop off, the cold side isn't as cold! 9.0V ~10V would be optimal as the I draw would be ~ 2 amps and this voltage suits the camera PSUs as they have to drop less across them, aka they heat less.

I'd expect to see the TEC reach lower temps when put in a thermally resistant housing...aka on the case with HSF.

It doesn't appear to matter which HSF I use the TEC never go hot enough ...max HSF hot side measured was 29.6ºC TEC at 10.6V fan @12V.

So this TEC is good enough for purpose to -6~-7V cooling capacity from 9~10.5V DC TEC voltage and with the fan voltage the same or 12V.

Of course these are my fans and HSFs would the results be the same of others?

Next is the 40mm SQ TEC but...this might be too larger for the case and I draw might be too high?