View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

My Argo Navis was “inherited” when I was lucky enough to buy a used SDM.
At the time of purchase I did not give much thought to the GoTo system, but after the first viewing it was apparent that this system is something special. There is just no comparison to my other system that drives the EQ6 for my refractor. Unless you have a clear all round horizon, setting up the EQ6 is a three star pain. The Argo is a snip using just two stars you want to choose, not the machine! Additionally the Argo has in its database all the stars I need to go double spotting, while the EQ6 has just half a dozen of its own choosing.
But I have found something odd;
Last night I was observing particularly in Grus and the constellations to the south. After the serious double star and galaxy viewing, to cap the night off I spun the dial to “popular deep sky” The usual suspects were there, 47 Tuc, Helix etc., I then came across “ Southern Integral Sign” – having not heard of this before I was a bit curious as to how a magnificent southern object had escaped my notice. I slewed the scope to its position and ….. nothing. Went to description – Mag 15.3 Galaxy in Indus???? Gary just why is this object on this list? Description also states IC 5173. Googling an image showed a galaxy shaped like the integral sign, but really “popular deep sky”? Is this a fun object just to vex people like me?
Aside from this, I have to thank Gary for assisting me fine tune the Argo at the SPSP, a great product with terrific support