View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Marcus10 (Marcus)

Just to add to this thread, I'm also a very happy Argo customer. I installed Argo around 2 years ago and have to say that it is a great tool. Gary is also the BEST at customer service and helped me through my installation and gave me some great tips on usage.

If you're time poor and want to crank through some observations and also don't want to spend 10 minutes starhopping to an obscure part of a constellation many degrees from the nearest bright star, Argo is the way to go. It has some great catalogues and has really helped me view many objects I probably otherwise wouldn't have.

Mode Tour is also a great feature. I love the ability to be able to hone in on certain objects and certain types e.g. with Argo you have a glob night, a galaxy night - whatever you want.

It's not a total substitute for star hopping as I believe this method really helps you find your way around the sky and its objects. Just using Argo is a bit like having a guide take you to a particular location without ever learning the way yourself. However, if you are time poor or working with a specific objective, or simply don't want to spend half your night star hopping - it's the way to go.