View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 07:42 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Gee, that was a tease Greg

Still, I look forward to seeing and hearing about all the progress

Mike
Hehe. It will probably be another 6 weeks.

I am also planning to build a 2nd observatory at my dark site. I have a mount ready for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
All the best Greg
Cheers Trev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
Good luck Greg - will be interested to see your designs? Are you far enough from the coast so that sea spray and salt deposits won't be a huge problem?
Thanks. I haven't noticed salt spray and deposits on anything and am about 2kms from a large basin and about around 3kms from the ocean. Something like that.

Design will be something simple and that fits in with the house. A slab with a pier anchor bolted to it. Then something like a 3 x 3.5 metre shed with colorbond or Hardiplank walls. The roof will be an A frame possibly using aluminium roofing to keep the weight down. Sliding gate rails from Bunnings with concave wheels for the roll off. Not sure if the whole roof will roll off or only 2 metres of the roof as trees mean I only image from the zenith down to low in the west. It would make the roll off frame more compact. Probably will use aluminium sections to build the frame of the roof and the roll off frame to prevent wood warping and rot over time like my last observatory.

I put a PVC pipe and conduit in the slab to run cables through from the pier to where I will put a desk, so no cables on the floor.

I will do the A frame roof in a direction that will protect from prevailing winds when opened and the A frame will be steep enough to direct the wind over the top of a telescope rig.

Greg.