View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 07:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronovice View Post
I have been researching TS options also. Does import duty apply to Astro gear?
I have bought a number of scopes from TS, never had to pay any import duty per se, there are some charges on our end. However, things are changing. I have always gone with UPS for shipping from TS, for several reasons: they are very fast, it's possible to get the scope within a week of ordering; they provide detailed tracking each time the package changes planes, etc; they handle the inbound charges on your behalf. How that works is you will get a call from a UPS rep, sometimes when your package is still in the air inbound from the last waypoint, they will tell you exactly what additional charges are owing (normally for scopes this could be GST and clearance charges). You can pay over the phone via credit card, and they handle customs clearance. You will get detailed tracking on where the scope is on arrival, and I have had scopes delivered within 24hrs of landing at Mascot. Perhaps others have horror stories but I have not had a bad experience dealing with TS or with UPS. I used DHL once, and had some damage in shipment, thus I stay away from them for scopes. For accessories, DHL is ok, and much cheaper.

I just ordered a new scope from TS yesterday, with UPS to deliver.