View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Borg Canon Takahashi glass.

Hi. Delving into equipment decisions again???

Are there any Borg users out there willing to share their experience.

In mind is widefield, 71FL f3.9 Astrograph, 5 elements including triplet focal reducer - Cost around 2k. Will atttach an SBIG ST-8300C.

The Tak 4 element Petzval's are superb and in another thread I understand that there was disappointment with the FSQ-85ED @ 3.8k. I'm not sure that the 106 (5.6k), as beautiful as it is, suits my needs - essentially wide field.

Perhaps I should stick with my Canon 200mm for now, which is stopped down with an aperture disk - aka inverted reducer rings - stack thereof.

I would consider a Ritchey Cretien for narrow field if I ever got around to it - happy with wide field right now.

Second question - I understand that the SBIG crop factor is 1.95; that is, 18 x 13.5mm, relating it to full frame - because I am using a camera lens with it - effective focal length is 390mm which is close to the Borg in any case.

For wide field, am I gaining anything by purchasing what is essentially an achromat Fluorite doublet, in the Borg. I don't know if the triplet focal reducer is also a field flattener.

Questions, questions

Last edited by rcheshire; 09-11-2012 at 04:52 AM.