Thread: First Telescope
View Single Post
Old 31-12-2019, 07:46 PM
raymo

O.K. Saxon and skywatcher are made in China by Synta, and are mostly identical except for badgeing. Bintel ones are made in Taiwan. Nothing much to choose quality wise, except Bintel focusers have tended to be a little better.
Three downsides to the Bintel scopes are that as far as I know they still don't make GOTO ones, they still don't make collapsible ones, and only certain
models have enough back focus to allow fitting of a camera without being
modified. None of the above applies to SW scopes.
10" SW Collapsible is my pick, GOTO if you can afford it, as adding it later is
prohibitively expensive, as already stated.
I had one until I was almost 75, only gave up when my eyes did. Carried outside in two parts; up and running in 2 or 3 mins.[non GOTO].
Tube held in back seat by seat belt. Base upright in rear of my Corolla hatch.
A+ to everything Allan said. They don't collect dust more than a full tube; they are both open at the end after all. I had a shroud but found
little improvement, so stopped bothering with it. Collimation his held amazingly well as Allan said, in fact unbelievably, better than any of
the numerous closed tubes I've had over the decades. Other types of collapsibles need tweaking after assembly, but just extend the SW tubes fully and nip up the knobs and you are ready to go. The 10" is about 200mm longer than the 8"
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 31-12-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: more text