View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 09:57 AM
AdamJL

Hi Wayne

A Full Frame astro camera is going to cost significantly (even used) beyond that. If Full Frame is something you must have, then that does sort of limit your options.

If you're willing to ignore Full Frame and even go as large as APS-C or H, then I would choose the astro-camera. I went through this as well. Started out with a (stock) 5D IV, and got a new astro-camera recently. Why that instead of a modded DSLR? Main reason:
- Temperature control. Being able to take dark frames at your leisure is a lot better than being tied to doing it at the end of your session or worse, putting the camera in the fridge and guessing the temperature vs when you were out. DSLRs also change temperature during the shoot with ambient changes.

That said, your budget is your budget and so long as you're aware of what extra work you'll have to do in some circumstances, then you should be fine with the DSLR until you outgrow it. Only thing is to check how the Nikon plays with your capture software of choice. I know from hanging out on the NINA Discord, NINA has more trouble with Nikon drivers and performance than Canon, and the devs put that down to Nikon. Canon works flawlessly.